Eurodesk logo


Coming from the EU/EEA

As an EU national, you are entitled to come to Ireland to take up employment or self-employment. You do not need an employment permit. Take a look at 'Coming from the EU/EEA to work' for more.

PPS Number

In order to work in Ireland, you need a PPS (Personal Public Service) number. A PPS number is unique to an individual, and is used for identifying individuals for tax and welfare purposes. You cannot apply for your PPS number before you come to Ireland. When applying, you will need either National Identity Card or Passport and proof of residence. Go to for more on PPS numbers and the contact details of the office nearest to where you are (or will be) living.

Paying Tax

When working, you will pay the following tax and social insurance:

  • PAYE (pay as you earn) - tax which is usually deducted from your earnings by your employer
  • PRSI (pay related social insurance) - which contributes towards any benefits you may be entitled to
  • USC (universal social charge) - tax paid on all your income if your gross income is more than €13,000 per year

Find a job
AuPairAgencyTeam (IT jobs) - A site that collects job advertisements from other sites - Graduates resource for advice and graduate jobs - Jobs in the non-profit sector 


For opinion pieces from young people and information on working in Ireland, go to

Check Careers Portal for useful information about carrers and jobs, careers sector, employers profiles, careers interviews and much more.

Rights when working

Minimum wage

A minimum wage of €9.80 per hour applies to a worker over 18 with two years of any working experience, while not in training. See Citizens Information for more details.

Employment law

Check the Citizens Information website for information on working hours, leave entitlements and other areas of employment law. You can also contact Workplace Relations with queries on employment rights.

Back to top

Trade Unions

It is a constitutional right in Ireland to be able to join a trade union. Irish Congress of Trade Unions is the umbrella body for trade unions. The ICTU site gives information on the trade unions by sector (teachers, trades, engineering etc.)

Back to top